

**Monthly Meeting Minutes
District 11
March 3rd, 2022**

Location: Online via Zoom

Meeting time: 7:00 p.m.

Attendance: __28 - 30__

Committee members: __15__

Groups represented: __15__

Guests: __2__

Read Twelve Traditions: __Georgene__

Read Concept of the Month: __Harry G__

New GSRs or Alt. GSRs present: __Mike M Alt GSR, Bill R GSR__

New attendees present: __3__

Anniversaries: __Harry G 6y, Steve K 21y, Clint K 29y__

OFFICERS' REPORTS

DCM Report: Isidro B. - DCM

- 12 concepts stuff on the 3rd Thursday of the month via Zoom. 7:30pm ID: 970 0499 1067, PW: 639187
- I hope everyone is doing well. February flew by so fast!
- On February 17th District 11 had its first meeting of the Legacy of Service: Concepts Study. We read the "Forward: AA's Legacy of Service" and "Introduction: Welcome to General Service" in The A.A. Service Manual. We had some great discussion and answered many questions. A total of nine people were in attendance including members of District 11, the Area 20 Treasurer, the Area 75 Alternate Delegate, and an individual from Connecticut who used to live in the area and came across our flyer. I am very excited to continue this study next month on March 17th at 7:30 pm. We will be staring off at the "Preface" and "Introduction" to the Twelve Concepts portion on the manual, and continue reading each of the Twelve Concepts. I look forward to seeing you all at our next meeting.
- On February 19th, I sent out the Background Material and Agenda Items for the 2022 General Service Conference provided by Chris D., our Area 20 Delegate. Everything is housed in Google Drive, for easy and quick access. Please read Chris' entire email to see how to obtain access to the Background Material. If you find yourself having difficulty obtaining access to or need help navigating through the material, please let me know and we can schedule a time to walk through it together.
- Let me take a moment to share with you what this all means. Once a year (typically the end of April), Alcoholics Anonymous U.S./Canada holds an annual conference where all 93 Area Delegates, the 21 Trustees of the General Service Board, Grapevine staff, and A.A. staff at GSO come together for a weeklong business meeting. During the Conference they consider and discuss matters of importance to A.A. as a whole. The agenda items and background information I sent to the district on February 19th, is what will be considered and discussed during this week long conference. In keeping with the purpose of the General Service Structure as outlined in Concept One, that the final responsibility for A.A. world services should always reside in collective conscience of our whole Fellowship, A.A. does the following. The GSR's receives the agenda and makes it available to its group members to gather the consensus of the group on these items. Next, the GSR's of the area share with their elected delegate their group's feedback. Area 20

does this by holding a Pre-General Service Conference Workshop, happening this year on April 9th. Finally, all the area delegates will use the feedback provide to them by their areas to have an informed discussion at the at the Conference. With this, they will reach a final decision on each agenda item. The Advisory Actions that are approved will be used to plan the actives and services that A.A.W.S and the A.A. Grapevine will carry out over the course of the next year.

- With all this being said, I know this is a whole lot of material to read and digest. I do not expect you to or for you to review all of the agenda items with your groups. What I have seen done in the past, and what my home group's GSR typically does is make this information available to its members and ask what topics they would like to discuss. If you get no bites, I encourage the GSR's to pick some of the juiciest topics they see on this year's agenda, let their group know the agenda items the GSR would like to get their feedback on, and schedule a time for the group to discuss these topics.
- To help inform the GSR's of our district, on some of these agenda items, I would like to see what you all would like to do. We can either schedule a standalone meeting to allow the district to discuss and ask questions (maybe a few hours on a Saturday in mid-March) or discuss them during our April's district meeting (2 days before the NIA 20 Pre-General Service Conference Workshop). My thought in offering a time in mid-March is to allow the groups to have a few weeks, after gaining some knowledge about these agenda items, to discuss them with their groups. Please let me know what you would prefer.
- Below is a list of important dates for some upcoming events.
 - 2022 NIA 20 Spring Assembly – Saturday, March 12th via Zoom
 - 2022 NIA 20 Pre-General Service Conference Workshop – Saturday, April 9th location TBD
- Finally, remember to mention to your groups that there are still many open positions on the District 11 Committee. The current open positions can be found on our agenda, district website, meeting minutes, or through your General Service Representative. For past minutes, financial reports, district literature, and to learn where a group can send their contributions, please visit our website www.aa-nia-dist11.org.

Took a group conscience to determine if there was interest in having a sub-committee meeting regarding the spring assembly conference. And we decided we want to meet sometime in March, rather than during the April business meeting.

Alt DCM Report: OPEN- Alt. DCM

- NA

Secretary's Report: Mike M. - Secretary, OPEN - Alt. Secretary

- Motion to accept. February Minutes.

****Motion to accept as sent,___Mike M___, 2nd __Harry G____. accepted.**

Please send written committee reports to the secretary to be submitted in minutes.

Email: secretary@aa-nia-dist11.org

Treasurer's Report: Clint K. - Treasurer, Keith B. - Alt. Treasurer

- Available Funds, minus \$4000 prudent reserve: \$2,351.90
- Income from Individual Groups: \$1,353.00

- Expenses incurred: \$1,667.50
- Any questions:
 - Old Timers Brunch Produced \$2,110.98 less \$1,000.00. The check has been deposited, but it did not clear until 3-1-2022. That will be in the report for March.
 - Any Questions?

Keith Alt:

- All of February Tradition Seven contributions included complete information to properly credit your groups. If you have the preprinted district envelope, please fill that out as best you can. If you don't have the envelope, a PDF contribution form is available on the District 11 website under "Contributions and Forms". Or ~ you can put a note in with the check with the meeting name, day and location. Thank you.
- We have 75 pre-printed group contribution envelopes left. It could be about 6 months' supply. I got a quote for printing from the same printer we used for the Newcomer Packet envelopes. The cost is approximately \$0.45/ea. If anyone remembers who we used for our last order, I will have them give us a quote also.
- Is there a Motion to accept the February 2022 Treasurer's Report?

****Motion to Accept Report:** _____, 2nd- _Georgene_____. accepted.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Accessibility Report: OPEN. - Chair, OPEN- Alt. Chair

- NA

Answering Service Report: Mike N. - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- 41 total calls were received.
- 28 calls were forwarded. Thank you to all that responded.
- 12 calls were not forwarded.
- 1 calls were for AIAnon and forwarded accordingly.
- Thank you again to our stand-by/go-to volunteers!
- All call volunteer positions are filled. We will gladly accept names for future openings. If you know someone interested in service work, this is an excellent place to help out. Please feel free to have them contact me. We prefer one year of sobriety and have worked the steps with a sponsor.
- Mike tells a heart-warming story about how he 12'th stepped a guy, and it was really neat.
- The answering service call number (that makes the call) is (815) 455-3311. Save this number in your caller ID if you are a volunteer

Harry: What happens when a call isn't taken?

Mike: They reach out to all the volunteers for that day, numerous times; after a few rounds of trying then it fails.

Harry: Any way can we get a report with these folks names and phone numbers.

Mike: Well I supposed I could be the guy to reach out.

Scott: We've got a few folks as back-up. Seems like we didn't try the back-up callers.

Mike: My particular story.

Chade: I'd like to volunteer!

Nate: Does it come from the same caller ID/number each time?

Mike: yes. Something with 4111 from crystal lake.

Nate: What's the service?

Mike: A person calls the AA hotline, and then they say we'll have a member call you back.

Discussion ensues...

Harry: how do we get it from falling through the cracks...

Sid: Can we implement a hot-line email...?

JD: many of us attend meetings in district 28, or others, and they own their own phone. You actually hold the phone for a week with a binder, etc. The phone floated from group to group. Interesting idea.

Archives Report: Rich H. - Chair

- **Our Annual District 11 Old Timers Brunch was held Sunday February 20 at The Wauconda American Legion Hall. As our newly appointed Archivist I was honored to host this event, and to get a feel of our Archives Display Items.**
- **Thank you to Clarence for the planning and preparations so that all I had to do is take notes and stand up front and host this year's event. I took home all of District 11's Archives Display Items and left over kitchen dry goods items. Steve K. took home our coffee equipment. Equipment we own are: 2 large ice chests, 100 cup coffee pot, 30 cup coffee pot, approx. 100 cup coffee dispenser, approx. 15 cup insulated dispenser for hot water. We borrowed an 80 cup coffee pot from the American Legion. It was suggested to me to acquire our own second large coffee pot in case that one becomes unavailable. Most to all of the above items were donated by Clarence through some timely purchases. THANK YOU CLARENCE.**
- **Clarence will give a Final Report of this year's very successful, very well attended District 11 Old Timers Brunch.**
- **Possibly largest event to date. We ran out of food and stopped collecting money at 220 guests**

ASSETS		EXPENSES	
Seed Money	\$1,000.00	Rent	\$150.00
50/50	\$792.00	WalMart (4 Receipts)	\$286.44
Brunch	\$1,315.00	Sam's Club	\$443.60
		Jewel	\$115.98
Total Assets	\$3107.00	Total Expenses	\$996.02
Total Assets	\$3107.00		
Total Expenses	-\$996.02		
Net	2,110.98		
Return of Seed Money	-\$1,000.00		
Total Return-Excess Funds	\$1,110.98		

- **Check for \$2,110.98 and Report given to District 11 Treasurer Clint on Sunday February 27.**
- **THANK YOU CLARENCE FOR YOUR YEARS OF DEDICATION AND SERVICE TO DISTRICT 11 ARCHIVES**

Clarence: You know I'm always afraid there's not going to be enough people, or too many. And there were too many :) 120 paid folks, and when we ran out of food, we stopped charging folks and just let them in. >220 people, standing room only. Most people had a good time! Speakers

were great! seed money of \$1,000, \$792 from 50/50, the drunks brought in \$1,315. Total assets \$3,107. Expenses , rent food donuts cakes silverware plates other stuff, \$996. Net \$2,110. We returned seed money. Net profit of \$1,110.98.

Rich: Thank you to Clarence, for your years of dedication, and you've been doing a great job. It's a lot of work and thank you very much!

Clarence: It's an honor!

CPC Report: Ryan - Chair, Todd K. - Alt. Chair

- **Some progress was made. We had a committee meeting.**
- **Focus on medical professionals at hospitals and how to work with them.**
- **Made contact with Mchenry hospital.**
- **Look into working with Area 20 CPC.**
- **Todd said let's have a zoom call with area 20 CPC chairs!**
- **What literature/pamphlets to leave...**
- **Happy to be of service and of use to AA, Ryan Endler CPC**

Maureen: I'm the treatment settings chair. If you're reaching out to northwestern medicine. We already have contacts there for the substance abuse and mental health program. Is this overlap?

Ryan: We would not be reaching out to the treatments or programs. Just to professional doctors.... You know, the professional ones.

Maureen: Thank you, that answers my question.

Scott: My question has also been answered.

Sid: I can provide you with a list of contacts for different institutions.

Sid: You mentioned getting with other CPC chairs, next Saturday is Spring Assembly. During our assemblies, each committee chair in the area has a meeting with district committee chairs to brainstorm and share exp. So that would be a solid opportunity to discuss with other chairs!

Corrections Report: Steve K. - Chair, Michelle D. - Alt. Chair

- **No Report. Haven't been contacted by the jail since jan 1st. We would hear about any updates if there were any.**
- **I'll speculate about when they'll open up again.**
- **Made contact with Michelle last month.**

Michelle: I reached out and contacted Emily, who shared a list of female volunteers with me. My intention is to send out a group email who's still available or willing. And get an updated roster to act as if. Hopefully we'll be back in jail....soon!

Harry: Do we have enough volunteers? If we don't, this would be a good time to start that process.

Steve: At any time, anybody can go on the district website and under the corrections section, you can navigate to McHenry county jail and register. We generally don't have too many, but we have enough to cover the meeting (1-person per pod). Always good to have more.
I like floating on clouds.

Michelle: can't speak to # of female volunteers, but I'd encourage folks to submit the application. It is a process, so fill it out sooners, rather than later.

Emily: I sent Michelle the female volunteer list, we are a little thin. 2/week. But during the times we WERE going in person, not everyone was answering their phones. If you know someone who's previously

cleared, or has an expired pass, reach out to michelle to get them updated / on the list. The lieutenant is pretty lenient for updating those badges.

Is there a sobriety requirement to volunteer? Probably not.

Michelle: But there is a background check.

Courtney: It says there to not be in jail in the last 5 years. I checked it out. :-)

Michelle: There's a difference between arrests and convictions. The worst they can say is NO or not yet. Let the universe decide for you.

Harry: The mchenry country website was updated, and it's not there anymore.

Steve: Uh oh. I'll get back to you, and talk with the jail.

Emily: I'm going to beat a dead horse. We've developed a strong relationship with the jail over the years, and benefited from the work of those that came before me. Get some new folks. Anything can happen. Let's get some folks in the jails! We need some help and support in there.

Ron: I was a court bailiff and worked with the judge, my thing was to talk to the people prior to being sentenced. And ask if they wanted help. Judge would take it under advisement. I dunno if they do that any longer, but that was in Indiana. Also, I don't have a computer.

Harry: I'll help you out, Ron.

Steve: I went into the jail and got a paper application and delivered it in person.

[editor's notes: Ron was clearly not talking about the jail application.]

GSR Orientation Chair Report: Emily P - Chair

- If you are a new GSR, and you're like, "I don't know what you're talking about"
- I am here. For your support, in any capacity that is needed.
- No other report.
- If anyone else is confused, needs assistance, or just wants to chat about what the heck general service is all about, we can schedule a phone call (847) 691-1540 or email me at e.berg01788@gmail.com.

Grapevine Report: OPEN - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- NA

Literature: OPEN - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- NA
- Keith: I have many newcomer packets assembled. If you'd like what the district has to offer to the newcomer, get a hold of me through the treasury, or through Sid, and I'll come to your meeting.

LCM Report: Holly G.

- Nothing to report.

Public Information Report: Courtney J - Chair, Georgene R. - Alt Chair

- Not much to report. Handed out information and schedules to members of our committee. Need more schedules and brochures. 😊
- Georgene had nothing to report. I just need to know if the new schedules are printed (Nate), if they are, I'll be going to DFL to pick some up. And I can pick up some newcomer packets for Courtney (@MAC). We'll get together after vacation.
- Also, Roy says, "Close your fridge, I see your milk i'm Thirsty"

Jane: What is MAC?

Sid: It's the McHenry Alano Club.

Schedule Maker: Naté S.

- Submitted draft of new schedule and would like to get in any changes before printing. Also had a question about printing a second version of the schedule with name and phone number. I would like to know how the group would like to proceed with that given the new format for the schedule.
- Can all of you please look at the version of the schedule sent around. And let me know of any other changes you know of. schedule@aa-nia-dist11.org
- How do we want to disseminate these?

Sid: they were available at the District meeting in person. But individuals would take them to their groups or elsewhere. Where to come to pick them up. DFL is a pretty nice central location. Or have them at the local clubs so people can pick them up for their groups.

Nate: The printers are pretty quick. We used to have more than 1 printed schedule. Some have a group's contact person phone # on it also.

Harry: what we used to have, a schedule with no phone #'s. Another schedule with phone #'s. And a third that was just open meetings.

Nate: Is this needed?

Brian H: Are you asking that we remove the GSR phone # from the schedule?

Nate: It's not on there currently. It used to be on them before.

Brian: I do get phone calls from guys looking for meetings. So I'd like it on there.

Emily: I do think the phone numbers are useful. But I received many phone calls because of that. I always felt the meeting schedule without phone numbers was unnecessary. The open meeting schedule was for CPC or PI.

Sid: The purpose for Open: ???

Closed: use of fellowship.

Without phone numbers: for outside AA circulation.

Michelle: is there a way to add phone numbers to the website, and a statement on the schedule to reference the website for phone numbers.

Harry: Well that would be something we'd have to talk about. The website is the "outside" world.

Michelle: Can you make room for the phone numbers?

Nate: I could probably make it happen. I'm looking for a group conscience. I'm trying to simplify it.

Sid: proceed with planned.

Steve: echo echo echo (Sid and Harry). I had to use the schedule with no names or numbers on them when bringing them to jail. There is a reason for each one though.

Jane: I have security issues. I do have a problem with having my phone number out there. We all have cell phones. There are concerns about this.

Sid: any member of your group could be the contact, but easiest is to use the GSR as contact.

Hospital & Treatment Setting Report: Maureen O. - Chair, OPEN- Alt Chair

- I have ordered 50 big books. For northwestern, IOP and IP.
- I will reach out to another facility.
- I will be delivering schedules.
- They don't have bridge-the-gap yet, but maybe next month.
- (Maureen): Was contacted by Northwestern medicine behavioral health unit for request of Big Books and AA schedules. Ordered 50 big books from GSO. Made contact with a treatment provider for possible BTG opportunities.

Webmaster: Harry - Chair, Kate - Alt. Chair

- Nothing major to report. Typical meeting change requests and flyer posts since last month.

Workshop: - OPEN Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- NA

GSR Reports:

-

Old Business:

- Let's look at open positions. Can vote: Committee members and GSR's, and only alternates if their GSR is not present.
- Alt DCM, nominations? none
- Alt Secretary, nominations? none.
- Accessibilities chair, nominations? none.
- Alt Accessibilities chair, nominations? none.
- Alt answering service chair, nominations? none.
- Grapevine Chair, nominations? none.
- Alt Grapevine Chair , nominations? none.
- LCM to join the committee?
- Literature, nominations? none.
- Alt Literature, nominations? none.
- Alt Treatment settings Chair, nominations? none.
- Workshop chair, nominations? none.
- Alt Workshop Chair, nominations? none.

Sid: Please let your groups know that we're looking to fill these service positions.

New Business:

- **Motion:** All expense requests must be submitted by a District 11 committee chair to either the Treasurer or Alternate Treasurer. Requests are made by submitting (via email or personal delivery) a completed District 11 Expense Report along with matching receipts or quote (if treasurer will be making the payment). Upon receipt of said request, the treasurer will apply the expense to the budget line of the committee who made the request. Either the treasurer will pay the expense directly, or supply reimbursement/advancement for the expense requested. All reimbursements/advancements will be given directly to the committee chair unless the chair designates another individual on their committee to receive the reimbursement/advancement.

- **Background:** In the past, there have been requests for reimbursement from individuals either outside of a committee, or not by the committee chair, leading to much confusion. In reviewing District 11 resources, there appears to be no provision for expense payment/reimbursement approval. The purpose of this motion is to put in place a formal process on how the district handles expense payments/reimbursements and assign responsibility to the committee chair to decide if a reimbursement is applicable or not. Our budget is approved by the district annually to allocate money for each committee to use for their committee work. The groups trust that the district committee will be financially responsible when spending the money contributed by its groups.

- **Discussion:**

Keith: It's your budget, we would love for you to spend it. To support the primary purpose. If the committee goes beyond the budgeted amount, that then comes to the district to expand that item/year/committee. So we are not *limited* to that dollar amount.

Vote: passes unanimously

Open Mic:

- No announcements. Lol I think we're all sleepy.

Meeting Closed at: __8:52__p.m. , _____ seconds.

The next District Meeting is _Thursday April 7th, 2022_th at 7:00pm via Zoom:

Zoom Meeting ID: 959 6776 4900

Passcode: District11