

**Monthly Meeting Minutes
District 11
November 3rd, 2022**

Location: Hybrid via Zoom

Meeting time: 7:02 pm

Attendance: __32, 18 in-person__

Committee members: __17__

Groups represented: __15__

Guests: __4__

Read Twelve Traditions: __Randy__

Read Concept of the Month: __CJ__

New GSRs or Alt. GSRs present: __0__

New attendees present: __3__

Anniversaries: __Lisa - 8 years!! ; Keith - 30 years!!! ; Mark - 2 years!! ; Mike N - 9 years!!__

OFFICERS' REPORTS

DCM Report: Isidro B. - DCM

Friends,

I hope everyone is doing well and had a great October.

On October 8th, I attended the NIA Fall Committee Meeting. The main topic of discussion was the NIA 20 Primary Purpose Register for 2023. I will be going over this during new business and will be asking the GSRs to review this with their groups to provide me with feedback at the December District meeting and ultimately approve at the NIA 20 Winter Assembly.

On October 20th, I attended the Legacy of Service: Concepts Study. We had a great meeting with great discussion about Concept Eight. Our next meeting will be November 17th at 7:30 pm via Zoom. We will be staring at "Concept Nine". You won't want to miss this one.

Following the Legacy of Service: Concepts Study, we had our District 11 Planning Meeting for the Winter Assembly. It was a quick meeting, mostly getting updates of new volunteers. The event is right around the corner, so spread the word like butter. Also, we could still use some help with putting on this event, so GSRs, please let me know if your group would like to help. Our next meeting will be November 17th following the Legacy of Service: Concepts Study.

I would also like to give a plug to the workshop committee for diligently preparing for the upcoming workshop at McHenry Soberfest. Let's show our support by attending the AA's Three Legacies Workshop Saturday, November 19th from 1pm to 3pm at Soberfest.

Below is a list of some upcoming service events:

- 11/10/2022: NIA 20 Grapevine Monthly Workshop
 - 7pm via Zoom
 - Meeting ID: 838 5328 2292 / Passcode: grapevine
- 11/11 – 11/13/2022: 2022 National Corrections Conference (Hybrid)
 - In Person: Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, 1800 E Golf Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60173
 - Visit <https://nationalcorrectionsconference.org/> for more information and how to attend virtually

- 11/17/2022: Legacy of Service: Concepts Study (Winter Assembly Planning Meeting to follow)
 - 7:30pm via Zoom
 - Meeting ID: 970 0499 1067 / Passcode: 639187
- 11/18 – 11/20/2022: 33rd McHenry Soberfest
 - The Grand Geneva, 7036 Grand Geneva Way, Lake Geneva, WI 53147
 - Visit <http://www.soberfest.org/> for more information.
- 11/19/2022: District 11 Hosted Workshop @ McHenry Soberfest
 - 1pm – 3pm
 - The Grand Geneva, 7036 Grand Geneva Way, Lake Geneva, WI 53147
- 12/10/2022: NIA 20 Winter Assembly Hosted by District 11 (Hybrid)
 - In Person: The Church of Holy Apostles, 5211 Bull Valley Rd, McHenry, IL 60050
 - Virtual: Zoom information to follow
 - Doors open @ 8am, meeting at 9am

Please remember to mention to your groups that there are still many open positions on the District 11 Committee. The current open positions can be found on the agenda for the upcoming district meeting, district website, meeting minutes, or through your General Service Representative. For past minutes, financial reports, district literature, and to learn where a group can send their contributions, please visit our website www.aa-nia-dist11.org.

Alt DCM Report: OPEN- Alt. DCM

- NA

Secretary's Report: Mike M. - Secretary, OPEN - Alt. Secretary

- Motion to accept September Minutes.

****Motion to accept the minutes as sent, ___Brendan___, 2nd ___Harry___. Passed.**

Please send written committee reports to the secretary to be submitted in minutes.

Email: secretary@aa-nia-dist11.org

Treasurer's Report: Clint K. - Treasurer, Keith B. - Alt. Treasurer

- Available Funds, minus \$4000 prudent reserve: \$5,256.34
 - Income from Individual Groups: \$535.00
 - Expenses incurred: \$672.18
1. Answering service looks overstated as two invoices hit this month, one on October 3 and one on October 26. It makes it look double, but it is not. As we discussed in a previous meeting, at year end we will have paid 13 months of answering service because I pay the bills when they come in and my predecessor held them for the final due date in the month following.
 2. Any Questions?

Sid: Will you have a budget to present for next year? So we can approve it in January.

Clint: Yes. What is the SOP?

Sid: if any committee's need more money that is different from their budgets, then get connected with Clint.

Clint: We are way low on our budget. 60% current. Maybe we aren't spending what we normally do, or there's outstanding checks.

Harry: Could you address the answering service deficit.

Clint: I did. I pay a month earlier.

Harry: We will still have to pay for December right?

Clint: The \$27 is the difference between our methodologies.

Harry: Essentially, we might need to adjust the budget.

Clint: I think the annual dollars will even out.

****Motion to Accept Report: ____Georgene____, 2nd- ____Randy____. Passes.**

Pass the basket.

Keith:

- No formal report. If your treasurer has the envelope, fill it out as best you can.
- Otherwise there's a form on the website.
- Many groups use a bank check or online bill pay.
- Put something in that note what your group is, or where it's coming from.

Randy: Is that a common problem, that you don't know where it's coming from?

Keith: That's the fun of the job!

Todd: box 459, AWS has a new mailing address for group contributions!

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Accessibility Report: OPEN. - Chair, OPEN- Alt. Chair

- NA

Answering Service Report: Mike N. - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- 32 total calls were received.
- 25 calls were forwarded. Thank you to all that responded!
- 7 calls were not forwarded.
- Most were asking to find meetings, a few had no reason for calling, an auto-telemarketer, a couple hang ups, and 1 AI-Anon.
- Thank you again to our stand-by/go-to volunteers!

Archives Report: Rich H. - Chair

- David C. did his first recent Archives Interview, that was with Joe H. He is looking forward to future interviews and we have thrown some names at each other. At least one of those interviews we will do together.
- I am laying out District 11 Archives in my basement that I will be bringing to Soberfest. I have other commitments that weekend, but will spend as much time as possible in the Archives Room.

- We have a fully paid and signed contract with the Wauconda American Legion. District 11 Old Timers Brunch will be Sunday, February 19, 2023. Speakers will be Carol H. of Crystal Lake, and David C. of Palatine. We will have a flier out soon.
- I will need reimbursement for the \$150.00 check I wrote.
- I won't be around on the 3rd weekend. I'll try to make Clarence's life as easy as possible.

Steve: Did you get someone to do coffee?

Rich: I know you're not doing it, but it's in my book.

Steve: I'll do it, just want to teach someone else to do it, too.

CPC Report: Ryan - Chair, Todd K. - Alt. Chair

- For the month of October the committee and I made contact with more law offices in Woodstock resulting in the usual brief conversations and literature handouts but there was one office that had a special outcome. The secretary had a significant other new to AA and was very grateful to hear about AA and receive a meeting guide.
- Resupplied on all three pamphlets and look forward to more footwork.
- We have also begun reaching out to gather more members to join the committee, there is an obvious need if we hope to make a real dent in the community.
- Thank you all for allowing me to serve

Karen: Does D11, place an ad in a small paper, for holidays...?

Sid: We have in the past, but it might be more for PI.

Corrections Report: Steve K. - Chair, Michelle D. - Alt. Chair

- I spoke to Lieutenant Brooks. The process is functioning. There is no Sergeant Hoffman.
- I will call Brooks back.
- I saw 4 applications on his desk.
- Michelle should be set up properly, too.
-
- Basically two meetings per week.
- I brought in "Mail Call" from GSO, but it's essentially a Pen-Pal for an inmate
- email corrections@aa.org for more information.

Michelle: I'm still looking for Female Volunteers at the Jail. GSR's, please bring that back to your groups!

Michelle: To be clear, Please communicate with the Jail THROUGH Steve or Myself.

Monica: What is the sobriety time requirement to be a volunteer?

Michelle: No Time requirement specifically. You can't be on probation or parole for 2 years. Some working knowledge of the 12 steps, and actively sponsored.

Steve: There's no rule, but my opinion is: most of the way done with the steps. I do think more experience is better. It's possible that a volunteer would go in alone to run the meeting.

Randy: When are the meetings?

Steve: Men's Thursday. Women's Tuesday.

Chris: In your report you have enough people. But you just said you're spread pretty thin.

Steve: I would prefer to have 2 people for every meeting.

Emily: Usually, you'd sign up for 1 week of the month. Emily does math.

- Application process at McHenry County Jail
- 1) log on to McHenrysheriff.org
- 2) click on corrections tab
- 3) find and click on "About the jail"
- 4) click on Inmate Programming.... Then scroll to the bottom where it says "Jail Volunteers"
- Read the handbook and take the test....

<https://www.mchenrysheriff.org/corrections/about-the-jail/>

Look at the bottom of this page. Click the "Next" button to get started.

GSR Orientation Chair Report: Emily P - Chair

- If you are a new GSR, and you're like, "I don't know what you're talking about"
- I am here. For your support, in any capacity that is needed.
- No other report.
- If anyone else is confused, needs assistance, or just wants to chat about what the heck general service is all about, we can schedule a phone call (847) 691-1540 or email me at e.berg01788@gmail.com.

Grapevine Report: OPEN - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- NA

Literature: Jake - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- I will begin by sharing a little information gathered from GSOs quarterly report.
- The literature committee has reviewed a progress report on the 4th edition translation to plain and simple language. The committee initiated a conversation on respecting AAs spiritual foundation by keeping the 12 steps intact and in place in chapter 5 and placing a possible differently formatted/design plain language translation afterwards. Also a new jacket-less format for the Big Book has been implemented for the next printing. This format will help to avoid supply chain issues and save in off press delivery time as well as expense. The first printing was expected to begin in October.
- An update on where we are at as far as the newcomer packets. I brought the requested amount from last month's meeting with me tonight as well as additional packets to bring back to the groups. Which will leave us with just under 75 in our possession. I will be placing an order soon so we have a sufficient amount on hand ready to distribute to men and women new to AA. Also, last month I committed to putting together a recommendation for a new less overwhelming yet still informative packet. After doing some research online checking out digital newcomer packets and reaching out to neighboring districts -special thanks to district 22 for responding and sharing what their packet contains. My recommendation for our newcomer packets will include: Information on AA (which is a single sheet flier) A Newcomer Asks, This is AA, Questions and Answers on Sponsorship and a 12 & 12/serenity prayer wallet card. The committee is open to any comments, concerns, questions or suggestions on the newcomer packet before placing the next order.
- I am also looking into putting together a literature display for the district to have for our monthly district meetings and possibly to put out at the upcoming assembly, which will include information about general service. Some ideas for the display are:
 - The AA group
 - GSR
 - AA in Correctional Facilities
 - AA in Treatment Settings
 - AA in Your Community

- Bridging the Gap
 - How AA Members Cooperate with Professionals
 - AA legacy of service
 - The 12 Concepts Illustrated
 - Circles of Love and Service
 - In side AA, Understanding the fellowship and its Services
 - The 12 traditions Illustrated
 - Self Support
- This will only be a beginning for our literature display and we can make adjustments as we feel it necessary depending on the groups and our districts needs.

Harry: when would you be placing the order for newcomer packets?

Jake: ASAP. before our next business meeting.

Georgene: What are you eliminating from the old packages?

Jake: I'm removing 8 pamphlets. There were 12. I felt it was a bit too much. The selected 4 are relevant to our area, I feel it would be more effective.

Alexa: I saw one at a meeting I was at for the first time. I really liked the pamphlet "the word God". It was a touchy subject for me and clarified some things for me.

Keith: As prior literature chair , The God word, was not part of our newcomer packet, we chose " many paths to spirituality" that was 2 and a half years ago.

Jake: Send me more suggestions. Thank you!

LCM Report: Sue C.

- No Report.

Public Information Report: Courtney J - Chair, Georgene R. - Alt Chair

Courtney:

- Anywho, this month there's not much to report! It was a busy month for me and I didn't get much of anything done.

Georgene:

- No Report.

Schedule Maker: Nataé S.

- The last of the remaining schedules are at the District meeting and can be taken by GSRs to their groups. Planning to reorder the main schedule and the new open meeting-only schedules before the next district meeting. Please get in any changes to the schedule by November 10th. The estimated expense will be between \$500-\$700 payable in Nov or Dec. In the interim, please feel free to use the attached open meeting schedule for your groups.

Hospital & Treatment Setting Report: Maureen O. - Chair, Monica A. - Alt Chair

- I received an email from the Director of NIRC and he's going to call me to set up a meeting to discuss the needs at the new facility.
- I brought up the need for volunteers during the last business meeting at my home group, where I also serve as GSR. Several people expressed interest so as soon as I have confirmation, we can begin filling those spots. Monica has continued to announce the need for volunteers and serve as BTG volunteer at NWM on the inpatient unit in Woodstock.

- Again, when I have definitive information about the needs for NIRC, I will create a flier with the details and make sure that it gets distributed to area meetings.

Webmaster: Harry - Chair, Kate - Alt. Chair

- Nothing new on the web front. Everything is up to date and working well as far as I can tell. I do on occasion have a crazy thought of rebuilding the entire website and then I look at my calendar and am returned to sanity. I am thinking about a reorganization in the future.
- I plan to spend \$310.00 on a laptop for the district this month. My thought is to baby steps the district into being technologically self supporting. Having a laptop would allow business to continue as usual should the need arise.
- Thank you for allowing me to be of service!

Workshop: - Lisa - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- I kind of hope this works as a update for the workshop committee. We have been working very diligently to prepare for the three legacies workshop at Silver best.
- We will be putting together a PowerPoint presentation and referring to literature as well as distributing literature to the participants.
- We will be renting a screen and computer hook up from the grand Geneva for approximately \$100. That's about it!

GSR Reports:

Matt: There are 5 Fridays in december. 30th of December. We will have our open AA/Alanon Speaker . First Methodist Church in Mchenry. 7:30p speaker.

Chris: Alt GSR. Thanksgiving Gratitude open meeting, doors at 7am, 8am meeting. Coffee and donuts. theremnantgroup.org/ it's under events on the district website also.

Old Business:

- Let's look at open positions. Can vote: Committee members and GSR's, and only alternates if their GSR is not present.
- Alt DCM, nominations? none
- Alt Secretary, nominations? none.
- Accessibilities chair, nominations? none.
- Alt Accessibilities chair, nominations? none.
- Alt answering service chair, nominations? none.
- Grapevine Chair, nominations? none.
- Alt Grapevine Chair , nominations? none.
- Alt Literature, nominations? none.
- Alt Workshop Chair, nominations? none.

Karen is willing to stand for the grapevine chair.
Karen qualifies herself. Previous experience in district 43.

12 in person. 6 zoom 18 in total voting. 18 passes! Welcome Karen!

Sid: Please check the email I sent that has the Agenda for this meeting, it should also have the position descriptions.

New Business:

Finance committee discussion. Moneys have not been spent properly, mostly due to zoom transitions, and online events. Please review this finance committee report attached to these minutes. This helps us approve a budget for the area.

Open Mic:

- **Steve:** Let's start doing the Pink Can fund. This is for AA literature for Jails and Prisons.
- **If you have a Pink Can at your meeting, check the PO BOX address and make sure it's correct/accurate.**
- **I can get you a new label.**
- **Send money to the Area. PO BOX 808, Streamwood, Illinois 60107-2971**

- **Mike G:** Soberfest is happening in 15 days! Grab a flier. We're looking for volunteers to help out with during-conference activities.
- **Grand is sold out. And the banquet is oversold. Registration is still open for a week.**

- **Keith:** Remember November. A way for GSO to generate funds. It's not on the website... they no longer do it. You still can send in your own birthday fund through aa.org.

Meeting Closed at: __8:30__ p.m. , _Harry_____ seconds.

The next District Meeting is Thursday November 3rd, 2022 at 7:00pm in person and via Zoom:

Zoom Meeting ID: 959 6776 4900

Passcode: District11

First United Methodist Church of Crystal Lake (236 W Crystal Lake Ave, Crystal Lake, IL 60014)