

## Monthly Meeting Minutes District 11 March 2nd, 2023

Location: Hybrid via Zoom

Meeting time: 7:00 pm

Attendance: \_36, 26 in person\_\_

Committee members: \_15\_\_

Groups represented: \_19\_\_

Guests: \_2\_\_

Read Twelve Traditions: \_\_Georgene\_\_

Read Concept of the Month: \_Karen W\_\_

New GSRs or Alt. GSRs present: \_\_Scotty Y\_\_

New attendees present: \_\_Nick, Aaron\_\_

Anniversaries: \_Harry G 7 years!!! ; Rob 8 years!!!! ; Clint K. 30 years!!!!\_\_

### OFFICERS' REPORTS

#### DCM Report: Isidro B. - DCM

I hope everyone had a great February! This will be a short one, as I would like to spend more time in new business discussing what a GSR is to do with the General Service Conference Agenda Items.

Please remember that District 11 is hosting the Pre-General Service Conference Workshop on April 1st at Woodstock High School. This is the venue where members of the Northern Illinois Area will communicate to our delegate our group's voice on these Conference Agenda items. If you are interested in helping at this event, please let me know. We will hold a short powwow after tonight's meeting to do some planning for this event.

Below is a list of some upcoming service events:

- 03/07/2023: NIA 20 Monthly Meeting for District Secretaries/Registrars
  - 7pm via Zoom
  - Meeting ID: 883 1545 6870 / Passcode: secretary
- 03/10-03/12/2023: Northern Illinois Area 20 ~ 2023 Spring Conference
  - Hyatt Regency, 1800 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173
- 03/11/2023: NIA 20 Spring Assembly (Hybrid)
  - In Person: Hyatt Regency, 1800 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173
  - Virtual (via Zoom): Meeting ID: 832 3925 4573 / Passcode: Freedom
  - Doors open @ 8am, assembly starts at 9am
- 03/16/2023: Legacy of Service: Concepts Study
  - 7:30pm via Zoom
  - Meeting ID: 970 0499 1067 / Passcode: 639187
- 04/01/2023: Pre-General Service Conference Workshop (Hybrid)
  - In Person: 501 W South Street, Woodstock, IL 60098
  - Virtual (via Zoom): Info to come
  - Doors open @ 8am, assembly starts at 9am

Please remember to mention to your groups that there are still many open positions on the District 11 Committee. The current open positions can be found on the agenda for the upcoming district meeting, district website, meeting minutes, or through your General Service Representative. For past minutes, financial reports, district literature, and to learn where a group can send their contributions, please visit our website [www.aa-nia-dist11.org](http://www.aa-nia-dist11.org).

Saturday 25th (discuss the agenda items)

Jake: Would that interfere with the zoom breakout sections?

Sid: probably.

Spring Assembly. Hyatt Regency hotel. There's a conference surrounding the assembly.

**Alt DCM Report: OPEN- Alt. DCM**

- NA

**Secretary's Report: Mike M. - Secretary, OPEN - Alt. Secretary**

- Please fill out the Attendance sheet going around.
- Motion to accept February Minutes.

**\*\*Motion to accept the minutes as sent, \_\_\_ Georgene \_\_\_, 2nd \_\_\_\_\_. Passed.**

**Please send written committee reports to the secretary to be submitted in minutes.**

**Email: [secretary@aa-nia-dist11.org](mailto:secretary@aa-nia-dist11.org)**

**Treasurer's Report: Clint K. - Treasurer, Keith B. - Alt. Treasurer**

- Available Funds, minus \$4000 prudent reserve: \$1,982.56
- Income from Individual Groups: \$803.68 (plus district meeting 7th Tradition)
- Expenses incurred: \$3,465.85

**1. Non-Recurring expenses include \$2,000 in total contributions to GSB and Area. World Services is not every month either.**

**2. Any Questions?**

Carol: Is the rent quarterly?

No, it's every month.

**\*\*Motion to Accept Report: \_\_\_ Karen \_\_\_, 2nd- \_\_\_ Lisa \_\_\_\_.**

**Keith:**

- Once again all Tradition 7 contributions came in with enough information to properly credit your groups.
- Please use the pre-printed envelope and fill in the blanks as best you can. If you don't have the envelope, a PDF contribution form is available for download on the district website. If your treasurer uses bank checks, please include the group name and number in the memo space.

**~Pass the Basket~**

**COMMITTEE REPORTS**

**Accessibility Report: OPEN. - Chair, OPEN- Alt. Chair**

- NA

**Answering Service Report: Mike N. - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair**

- 29 total calls were received.
- 21 calls were forwarded. Thank you to all that responded!
- 8 calls were not forwarded.
- Most were asking for meetings and times, a few no reason for calling, a couple for meeting status.
- Thank you again to our stand-by/go-to volunteers!

**Archives Report: Rich H. - Chair**

- Thank you to all that attended the 2023 Old Timers Brunch on February 19. Earlier in the planning I thought we were looking to hold the 2023 Old Timers brunch on the first Sunday in February. And I planned Donna and my vacation accordingly. When we went to book our date the 3rd Sunday was the only open date so we took it, and I was unable to attend. It does appear the 3rd Sunday is the best date. There is a Men's Retreat on 1st Sunday. A Women's Retreat on the 2nd Sunday. So yes, the 3rd Sunday does work best.
- After last year's event we talked about looking for a larger venue, but held off, thinking 2022 large attendance was due to people getting out in large groups together for the first time after covid. This year proved we do need a larger venue and more food. We are looking into other possibilities.
- I did as much as possible before leaving town, and many volunteers made this event a great success. Clarence did the day before shopping and Chaired the event. Carol H. and David C. did a great job as speakers. I am reluctant to try to recognize the following volunteers because of who I forget to mention or those that I didn't know of. But I will give it my best shot and my apologies for those I miss. In the kitchen were Dan, Michael, Ted, Taz, and Rich. Making coffee were Steve, Harry, Anil, Jim, Eric, and Rich. Set up were Mark, Clint, and others. Working the door and 50/50 were Rebekah, Amy, Diane, Kelsey, Ana, Andrea, and Christmas. And I'm sure many countless others through the day and clean-up at the end. And of course all of you that attended.
- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
- The attendance was in the area of 225. The room was full and all the food was eaten. As said above, we need a bigger venue. Before the event I was given \$150.00 for rent and \$1,000.00 seed money by Treasurer Clint. Rent was paid in advance. \$1,033.98 was spent on food shopping. \$50.00 to Ed's rental for extra coffee maker and insulated coffee dispenser.
- \$1,366.00 was collected at the door. \$830.00 to District 11 from 50/50 drawing. \$962.02 in excess funds. I gave a check for \$2,112.02 to District 11 Treasurer Clint.
- Once Again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

CPC Report: Ryan - Chair, Todd K. - Alt. Chair

- Hello everyone, short report this month. Special thanks to Harry for helping the CPC committee to create and print a business card to hand out with the rest of our literature. I have brought a copy of one if someone would like to see. It is basically the same as the district's card with the CPC email added. Lastly, we are still working in Mchenry visiting all the lawyers and attorneys to continue with our strategy of reaching one profession in each town in our district. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.
- Hitting the road!

Corrections Report: Steve K. - Chair, Michelle D. - Alt. Chair

- All the meetings are being attended.
- Locker has been restocked in the lobby, with Big Books.
- Working on getting them down from the library and put in the locker.
- We can now bring extra big books to the meetings (to hand out to inmates to keep).
- Michelle restocked the big books.
- One new woman has been "badged"

- One new man has been “badged”
- Three more men almost “badged”
- Application process at McHenry County Jail
- 1) log on to McHenrysheriff.org
- 2) click on corrections tab
- 3) find and click on “About the jail”
- 4) click on Inmate Programming.... Then scroll to the bottom where it says “Jail Volunteers”
- Read the handbook and take the test....

<https://www.mchenrysheriff.org/corrections/about-the-jail/>

**Look at the bottom of this page. Click the “Next” button to get started.**

Carol: Is there a plan to hand out As Bill Sees It, Daily Reflections.

Steve: I've been pushing grapevines, exit packages. 3 years ago. It's hard to get other literature in there.

Carol: yeah but they're there.

Steve: It's been hit or miss getting into the library.

Carol: women have asked about it.

Steve: I'll look into it.

**Grapevine Report: Karen W- Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair**

- “Get into service”
- “Nothing seems to help me more, than to be reminded of where i came from...”
- \$28.97
- We invested in a display. It will be at the spring conference.
- Lot's of free online resources to help spread the message.
- Panel discussion at the conference.
- We have subscription money from the budget, to come to your meeting. Then we'd give your group a free year of grapevine.

**GSR Orientation Chair Report: Emily P - Chair**

- If you are a new GSR, and you're like, “I don't know what you're talking about”
- I am here. For your support, in any capacity that is needed.
- No other report.
- If anyone else is confused, needs assistance, or just wants to chat about what the heck general service is all about, we can schedule a phone call (847) 691-1540 or email me at [e.berg01788@gmail.com](mailto:e.berg01788@gmail.com).

**Literature: Jake - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair**

- Newcomer packet and our district's general service literature display inventories are plentiful
- I encourage anyone looking for information on the service structure and the legacies of unity and service to check out the display
- There are newcomer packets available for distribution to the groups.
- - There has been a lot of information passed along from our delegate Chris and I will share some that concerns our literature.

- From the last GSB quarterly meeting our delegate reported:
- There will be a literature price increase April 3rd - 20% on books and 30% on pamphlets.
- The 5th edition BB - 2600 submitted stories are being reviewed and evaluated. There will be either a draft or a progress report at the 2024 GSC. This item has been forwarded to the 2023 conference and is listed under literature as item I.
- The plain and simple translated BB - At the conference the delegates will begin reading what has been completed up to that point. The goal is to have 6 chapters complete. The selected delegates will have 1 hr each day from Sunday to Thursday to review the material with members of the trustee committee with them for assistance. There will be a few hours set aside for discussion on the conference floor for directional thoughts. The 12 steps will NOT be changed into plain and simple language.
- And Finally 😊
- The list of agenda items forwarded to the GSC has been provided for all of us to review and share with our groups.
- The outcome or results of the conference will basically dictate the direction that AA moves forward this coming year and in the future. God willing, of course.
- PLEASE take the time to review the agenda items along with the background information so we can share with our delegate and AA as a whole the informed collective conscience of district 11 specifically the group conscience that makes up our district!
- There are 85 agenda items on the final list.
- With a number of them regarding our literature that provides the framework and instruction for carrying out our primary purpose as our founders originally intended. Through the sharing and original writings of their experience on precisely how they recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body we know today as alcoholism.
- The End

Harry: remember a while back about the plain and simple translation, have they expanded on the samples or synopsis that we could read?

Jake: there's some excerpts to show examples of how it will be translated.

The 5th edition will probably be published in 2025.

#### **LCM Report: Sue C.**

- In February I visited the Harvard, Crystal Lake and Woodstock clubs leaving them newcomer packets and information on GSR The AA Group and schedules.
- I have also gotten to several other meetings.
- The next month I will try to go to zoom meetings and the McHenry Alano club.
- I will be placing an order for literature.
- Due to the fact prices are increasing.
- Please contact me if your committee is in need of literature
- 815-861-4812

#### **Public Information Report: Courtney J - Chair, Georgene R. - Alt Chair**

Courtney:

- This month

- Books, AA Pamphlets, and schedules were handed out to mental health court offices.
- Attorneys offices.
- And mchenry fire dept.

**Georgene:**

- No Report.

**Schedule Maker: Nataé S. - Chair**

- Just about out of the last run of schedules. Printed (Dec '22)
- Need to reorder schedules since we are running low and will bring them to the April District meeting. Will also make a trifold for the open meeting schedule and run it with this printing. Please send an email to [schedule@aa-nia-dist11.org](mailto:schedule@aa-nia-dist11.org) if you have any changes to the schedule.
- The open meeting schedule is just a sheet of paper, but we could print it in pamphlet form.
- Email changes [schedules@aa-nia-dist11.org](mailto:schedules@aa-nia-dist11.org)

Sue: Everyone is complaining. I can't read the format. The phone numbers for contact aren't on there. We'd get phone calls from someone in the area. And we'd greet them.

Natae: We discussed this at the meeting before. We didn't put numbers on there, until we get accurate meeting phone numbers.

Sid: I can help facilitate this so that we can get our list updated.

Sue: There's no zoom information. If I'm a newcomer, how do I find that information?

Natae: The front page says online meetings, and to go to the website to get info.

Natae: As far as the format, "everybody" should or could communicate with me about it.

Sid: Simple modifications requests can use the schedule maker email address.

Harry: The format had to change because we got to a point where it was unmanageable.

**Hospital & Treatment Setting Report: Maureen O. - Chair, OPEN - Alt Chair**

- Sue delivered a box of big books to NW inpatient behavioral health.
- Also took everything (pamphlets and directories) to the Rosecrance in Crystal Lake.

**Webmaster: Harry - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair**

- No Report.

**Workshop: - Lisa - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair**

- Well, we're all set to meet and finalize the program for the workshop coming up on March 11 (2-4p). Although we have changed a few of the participants, we hope that the program goes smoothly and that people are receptive to the message about the three legacies.
- If you or your group have an idea for a workshop that you would like the district to present, please feel free to talk to me. Something fun this summer sounds like a goal!
- There's no breakout for a workshop at the assembly, maybe we get a little group at the assemblies!

**GSR Reports:**

**Matt:** There are 5 Fridays in March. Open AA/AI-Anon speaker meeting, Friday 31st, 7:30pm. Mchenry.

**Mark: W&B having their anniversary party, May 6th. Flier to come soon! Mark is Grill-Master!**

### **Old Business:**

- **Let's look at open positions. Can vote: Committee members and GSR's, and only alternates if their GSR is not present.**
- **Alt DCM, nominations? None**
- **Alt Secretary, nominations? None.**
- **Accessibilities chair, nominations? None.**
- **Alt Accessibilities chair, nominations? None.**
- **Alt answering service chair, nominations? None.**
- **Alt Grapevine Chair , nominations? None.**
- **Alt Literature, nominations? None.**
- **Alt Treatment Settings? None.**
- **Alt Webmaster, nominations? None.**
- **Alt Workshop Chair, nominations? None.**

### **New Business:**

Motion1 : Panel 62 Past Delegate makes a motion to have our Area 20 Treasurer write up to 13 checks or PayPal reimbursements. One to each Area of the East Central Region that sent checks or PayPal payments, in the amount received from these Areas that they sent to help cover the loss of the \$3,000.00 East Central Regional Conference Seed Money incurred by Area 20.

Carol: to clarify, that \$3000 was already sent to the east central treasury. The 13 checks are so that we take ownership.

[Someone]: how did they rack up a \$12k deficit?

Sid: about a few weeks prior to the event, the hotel upped expenditures, including the banquet. There was a lot of mismanagement of the committee. Lack of supervision of the conference by the oversight committee. Since a member paid the bill with their credit card, they lost the ability to negotiate.

Plan to put the bylaws for the committee to be uploaded to the area website. Job descriptions and Delegate and area chair, are part of this area policy committee. And that they can support the host committee as best as they can.

The host committee needed oversight.

**Generally pass. No opposed.**

---

Motion 2. Mileage reimbursement.

40c/mi to 50c/mi.

NIA 2011 from 28c/mi -> 40c/mi

**Generally, Pass.**

---

Who hasn't heard about the GSC?! It's where topics relevant to AA as a whole get discussed.

All of Mchenry county comes together -> district, then Area 20.

Support the services of the area, help districts communicate.

The main purpose of the assembly is for our area to elect a delegate; to be the area's voice to the GSC. GSC. annual meeting where 93 delegates from US and Canada to discuss important items.

We must inform our delegate of the topics and group conscience, district conscience, and area conscience, to carry that to the week long conference.

As a GSR, what do I do with this?

With over a thousand pages of background information, there's a lot of things here.

Look at the agenda items. Which one of these is going to stir up some conversation in my group?

What's important to us?

Dive into it if it seems important. Finance committee, new pamphlets, literature,

Pick out 2 or 3. Pick a few more if you want. But focus on the ones that matter to you and your group.

What voice can I bring to this annual meeting?

Discuss, prior to April 1st. Hold a business meeting. Make sure the groups know about these discussions.

Meeting here, the last Saturday of the month (March 25th), to get some clarifying discussions. In time for the Pre-General service conference workshop. This lets the delegate hear the opinions of the Area groups, ahead of time, so they can bring it to the conference.

### **PGSC will be at Woodstock High School.**

There will be breakout sessions for each overall topic or subcommittee, held over zoom, to get prepared for the PGSC.

PGSC will report on what the zoom meetings discussed, but there will be time to discuss further if points are controversial. And ultimately we'll carry our voice to our delegate.

Please talk to Sid (Me) to help figure this out or answer questions or help figure this out for you.

District discussion on Agenda Items slated for March 25th 9a-12p at this church.

Lisa: I wanna talk about Corrections about the safety card.

Harry: GSR comes here and gets overwhelmed and then forgets we're a group. Get some nut checkers. It's better to dig through it with your members.

---

[Sid screen shares discussing the agenda items]

---

### **Open Mic:**

- Nothing else.

**Meeting Closed at: \_\_8:41\_ p.m. , \_\_\_\_\_ seconds.**

**The next District Meeting is Thursday April 6th, 2023 at 7:00pm in person and via Zoom:**

**Zoom Meeting ID: 959 6776 4900**

**Passcode: District11**

**First United Methodist Church of Crystal Lake (236 W Crystal Lake Ave, Crystal Lake, IL 60014)**