

Monthly Meeting Minutes District 11 September 9th, 2023

Location: Hybrid via Zoom

Meeting time: 7:00 pm

Attendance: _30_, in person _21_

Committee members: _14_

Groups represented: _14_

Guests: _3_

Read Twelve Traditions: _Dominic_

Read Concept of the Month: _Dave_

New GSRs or Alt. GSRs present: _Pete S, new GSR sunday 11a burtons bridge

Dave. alt GSR for jon zeller. _

New attendees present: _Dave , (Stephania) visitor_, Bill alt GSR W&B_, Mike Cummings new GSR wed night Cary Grove.

Anniversaries: _Bobby F 4 years_, Jake R. 3 years, Craig 7 years _

OFFICERS' REPORTS

DCM Report: Isidro B. - DCM

I hope everyone had a great August and a nice Labor Day weekend.

After our last district meeting, a group of us met to discuss how to better capture group information and group contact information. We had a good brainstorming session and have a plan for moving forward. A major thing discussed was making sure all involved in updating or obtaining group information be informed when changes are made, reiterating that all new group forms and change forms go through the district secretary. Some additional methods are still being investigated, so I'll keep everyone posted when things start to develop.

On August 5th, I attended the NIA 20 Summer Committee Meeting virtually. It was a great meeting, with a lot of passionate discussion when planning the agenda for the Fall Assembly. More will be shared during new business when reviewing the motions for the Fall Election Assembly.

September 16th will be the NIA 20 Fall Election Assembly. If there is any assembly you shouldn't miss, it is this one. At this meeting the GSRs & DCMs will be electing the delegate, officers, committee chairs, and their alternates that will be serving our area for the next two years. If you or someone you know is interested in serving at the area level, go to <https://aa-nia.org/>, and on the home page where it says "NIA 20 Tools and Resources" click the "NIA Guidelines (Service Manual)" for requirements and job description for each position.

Similarly, November 2nd will be the District 11 elections. This is where the GSRs elect the officers, committee chairs, and their alternates, who will be serving our district for the next two years. As mentioned in Concept 9, we should always ask ourselves "Who are the best qualified people that we can name?" These are our leaders who will be tasked to carry out the work of and make decisions in what they see to be in the best interest of our district, area, and A.A. as a whole. If you or someone you know is interested in serving at the district level, please read the *District 11 Job Descriptions* I send out with every agenda for requirements and job description for each position.

Below is a list of some upcoming service events:

- **09/11 & 09/25/23: All Area's Open Meeting for Accessibility Committee Members**
- **Put on by Area 25 (Southern New Jersey)**
 - 6:00pm CDT via Zoom
 - Meeting ID: 690 393 7306 / Passcode: Area45
- **09/16/2023: NIA 20 Fall Election Assembly**
 - In Person: Lord of Life Church, 40W605 IL Rt 38, Elburn, IL 60119
 - Virtual: via Zoom
 - Zoom Registration Link:
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUkf-itrz8qGNO29yXqfglNq5yl-uRKxXD9>

- Doors open @ 8am, meeting at 9am
- **09/21/2023: Legacy of Service Concepts Study**
 - 7:30pm via Zoom
 - Meeting ID: 970 0499 1067 / Passcode: 639187
- **10/07/2023: NIA 20 Fall Committee Meeting**
 - In Person: TBD
 - Virtual: Zoom information to come
 - Doors open @ 8am, meeting at 9am

Please remember to mention to your groups that there are still many open positions on the District 11 Committee. The current open positions can be found on the agenda for the upcoming district meeting, district website, meeting minutes, or through your General Service Representative. For past minutes, financial reports, district literature, and to learn where a group can send their contributions, please visit our website www.aa-nia-dist11.org.

What's the status of the 5th edition?

Sid: Our delegate gave a report. I can provide you with his report.

Is there a dummy's report?

Sid: Yes, there's a Plain and Simple language translation of the 4th edition being worked on. Progress has been reviewed.

Richie: the delegates are in possession of the final reports. So go to the assembly. Within there should be some information on there regarding these topics.

Alt DCM Report: Dan P. - Alt. DCM

- **On August 7th I attended District 28's (Barrington & Lake Zurich) GSR meeting via Zoom. They were having some technical issues with their microphone and many participants did not approach a working laptop. The experience was overall positive and they have lots of open positions.**
- **On August 12th I attended the Steps 1, 2, 3 Workshop "Strengthening Our Foundation" in Huntley at Shepherd of the Prairie. The event was wonderful and the speakers and pamphlet sparked some phenomenal conversations. I gave a brief report on the District meeting, upcoming service events, and the upcoming elections.**
- **On August 16th I attended District 43's (Naperville, Bolingbrook, Lisle, Woodridge) GSR meeting via Zoom. It was interesting to experience an entirely online District meeting. They seem to like it and it seems to work well. Afterwards I had a good conversation with Aaron the DCM for District 43.**
- **On August 17th I attended the Legacies of Service Concept Study. Attendance was par for the course. We did not read much, but we did have a lot of good conversation on the material read.**

Harry: After you're done meeting the other GSR meetings, what's the result of this?

Dan: I've been taking notes, and I could probably put together a finalized report.

Secretary's Report: Mike M. - Secretary, OPEN - Alt. Secretary

- Please fill out the Attendance sheet going around.
- Motion to accept August Minutes.

****Motion to accept the minutes as sent, ___Mike___, 2nd ___Karen___. Passed.**

Please send written committee reports to the secretary to be submitted in minutes.

Email: secretary@aa-nia-dist11.org

Treasurer's Report: Clint K. - Treasurer, Keith B. - Alt. Treasurer

- Available Funds, minus \$4000 prudent reserve and \$2500 Travel Reserve and \$1500 known Payable Reserve: \$2,710.90
- Income from Individual Groups and Grapevine sales: \$835.12
- Expenses incurred: \$719.84

1. Extraordinary Issues:

- Two Answering Service bills hit this month just the by luck mail, calendar and banking. Nothing new to report on the total actual expenses.
- Just before last month's meeting I became aware of a \$1500 bill outstanding since April. DCM, involved committee chairs, and Treasurer met to discuss how to promptly dispose of this. So far none of the "take aways" from that meeting have been completed and I can't pay the bill.

2. Any Questions?

Chris V: What's the \$1500 bill?

Clint: It's a bill to AAWS for a collection of bills for various items. I got everything I needed to pay it today, determining which budgets to charge what amounts.

****Motion to Accept Report: ___Harry___, 2nd-___Chris___. Passed.**

Keith:

- First, I'd like to thank the district for allowing me to serve on the Literature committee and as Alternate Treasurer. When I stood for this position two years ago, I fully intended on making it a four year commitment. The progression or deterioration of the disease may make it impossible to fulfill another two years of service. With elections coming up we ask that you bring the whole slate of officers and committees back to your groups to encourage service participation at the district level.
- Once again all Tradition 7 contributions came in with enough information to properly credit your groups.
- Please use the pre-printed envelope and fill in the blanks as best you can. If you don't have the envelope, a PDF contribution form is available for download on the district website. If your treasurer uses a bank checks, please include the group name and number in the memo space.
- If your group is passing the pink can for donations to purchase AA literature for area jails and prisons ~ please make sure your treasurer has the new postal address to send your contributions: Northern Illinois Treasurer-Pink Can; PO Box 808, Streamwood, IL 60107-2971

Steve: Thanks for putting the name of the towns in the report! Makes it better!

~Pass the Basket~

**** 7th tradition contributions can be made to Clint Kenner via PayPal at clintkenner@yahoo.com ****

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Accessibility Report: OPEN. - Chair, OPEN- Alt. Chair

- NA

Answering Service Report: Mike N. - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- Most calls, like always, were about where meetings are, a couple for gen info about AA, one Alanon, and a couple no messages.
- 38 total calls were received.
- 31 calls were forwarded. Thank you to all that responded!
- 7 calls were not forwarded.
- The undelivered calls were reached out to by volunteers, or myself.
- Thank you to all the volunteers!

Archives Report: Rich H. - Chair

- I have reserved, signed a contract, and paid in full, \$150.00, for the rental of the Wauconda American Legion for The Old Timers Brunch on Sunday February 18, 2024.
- I have asked a woman I know, with better than 20 years of sobriety, to talk for us. She will get back to me soon. When I have both speakers secured (female and male) I will print and distribute a flier.
- I am going to lend District 11 Archives to Soberfest Archivist Brendan for display at Soberfest since I will be out of town that weekend.

CPC Report: Ryan - Chair, Todd K. - Alt. Chair

- Last month we were able to finish our visits with all lawyers in district 11, finishing with Richmond, spring grove and Marengo. The next step is to fully document all the work done up to this point to have a paper trail for anyone to make use of in the future. I hope everyone had a great labor day and I am looking forward to a productive month ahead.

Corrections Report: Steve K. - Chair, Michelle D. - Alt. Chair

- No Report.
- Application process at McHenry County Jail
- 1) log on to McHenrysheriff.org
- 2) click on corrections tab
- 3) find and click on "About the jail"
- 4) click on Inmate Programming.... Then scroll to the bottom where it says "Jail Volunteers"
- Read the handbook and take the test....

<https://www.mchenrysheriff.org/corrections/about-the-jail/>

Look at the bottom of this page. Click the "Next" button to get started.

Grapevine Report: Karen W- Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- The Grapevine App is LIVE as of September 1st. If you already get Grapevine, access is free to the App. If not, you can obtain the app for \$2.99 per month with a digital subscription. Details are found on <https://AAGrapevine.org>
 - Also one can still go on the site and get FREE Grapevine Quote of the Day, Sobriety calculator, and listen to the weekly Grapevine Podcasts.
- The GV display was brought to the August 12th Workshop. Sharon S. was the recipient of an annual GV subscription through the Carry the Message Project raffle. There were \$65.00 literature sales from August 7-12th.
- The GV display was brought to a women's retreat on August 25-27th. There were 2 anonymous contributions for a raffle. Amy H and Lynne P won the subscriptions. There was 105.00 in literature sales from the event.
- The display will be brought to an Alanon Retreat in early October by Rich H.
 - Thank you!
- We will develop another poster display to remain at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Crystal Lake.
- We have outstanding subscriptions from the Attitude Adjustment groups and the Friday evening Huntley Beginners Group. I have begun the follow up process for those contact persons.
- A total of \$170.00 will be turned in to the District 11 treasurer today.
- If there are any groups that would like a visit to a meeting, please contact me.

GSR Orientation Chair Report: Emily P - Chair

- If you are a new GSR, and you're like, "I don't know what you're talking about"
- Come on down to Emily's GSR Emporium!
- I am here. For your support, in any capacity that is needed.
- No other report.
- If anyone else is confused, needs assistance, or just wants to chat about what the heck general service is all about, we can schedule a phone call (847) 691-1540 or email me at e.berg01788@gmail.com.

Literature: Jake - Chair, OPEN - Alt. Chair

- Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!
- Let me start by thanking the workshop committee for the opportunity to display our literature at the workshop held last month in Huntley, I personally was unable to attend, however I'm sure that everyone who attended had a great time.
- There has also been some conversation regarding an opportunity to set up the display at the 2023 Al-Anon state convention held next month in Schaumburg.
- I think it is important to reiterate exactly what is included in the display and what is the intent of the display.

- **Unity and Service!** There are several pieces explaining the origins, importance and application of AAs 12 traditions and 12 concepts. As well as information regarding specific areas of AA general service, including the AA Service Manual and the importance of a home group.
- If the district would like our display to include more literature focused on the legacy of recovery please do not hesitate to make suggestions or requests! I believe the groups and the committees in direct contact with the alcoholic that still suffers are far better equipped to carry out the 5th tradition. It is the intent of the literature committee to serve district 11 and all of its members, groups and committees to help us all become more informed and effective members of the AA general service structure indirectly aiding in our primary purpose.
- And Finally,
- A report was given from AAWS on the happenings at GSO, stating the latest news, views, and announcements of the first half of 2023. The full report is included. From the publishing department:
- Charles D. joined AAWS as editorial project manager in March, replacing a former role titled editorial process coordinator. The role has been restructured to include more specifics regarding project management and provides focus on continuous accounting of all publishing items. In other words - looks over inventory of literature. In June, Charles found 196 items that were unavailable and looked into why this happened. 96 items are now back in distribution. A process will be determined to return the remaining unavailable items into circulation as soon as possible.
- As of July, 85 titles were not in distribution or back ordered, however, 44 of these have either been approved to print or are actively in the reprint/revision process and should be available now. The remaining 41 items are under review by staff or the publishing department to determine the next steps.
- The End! 😊
- Questions?

Pete: Who's our preferred vendor ? Chicago or New York?

Jake: Encouraged to purchase from intergroup. So CASO. Personally, my group uses AA.org.

Mike: I'll add Chris Degrane's bulletin regarding the backorder of literature.

Jake: Also I was part of that \$1500 bill for literature, but we couldn't carry the entire burden of that bill so I'm glad we could work that out. Also I'm going to help get this position ready for the next person.

LCM Report: Sue C.

- I am sorry I will not be attending tonight
- Clint has received information so Clint received today the pay off amounts for the literature order.
- I would like to propose that all orders forward be in writing and signed off at time of order so we can have sign offs at ordering time and Treasurer can send payment immediately.
- As we experienced Chairs and co chairs leaving and my and others health issues. In 2024 I'd like to see this be transferred to Literature committee and would like to explain to the incoming chair how the kinks can be worked out.
- This year we saved thousands in shipping costs and in ordering costs using the multiple committee ordering.

- I will be going to deliver more pamphlets to groups and clubs this next month and speaking to the area registrar to get the districts group information to clean up the groups information so our schedules and GSR lists and contacts are updated for the next year.
- See you at the Assembly.

Public Information Report: Georgene R - Chair , OPEN - Alt Chair

Georgene:

- I got cards coming, little AA cards. Only 500 cards.... Thought we'd have more.
- Mark and I are putting together a list of pamphlets we want to order, with little big books, to drop off at police stations.
- The big big books don't need to go to the police stations, i'll be ordering some more big books , soft and hard cover,. I'll be putting in a motion, because all my money is gone. Whoops!
- \$347 for purchase, and now I don't have any budget left.
- Mark and I will get together and determine a proposed budget.
- Sue has a lot of pamphlets, to determine some kind of inventory.
- Georgene's having fun this summer!
- Bonnie and Clyde!

Chris V: What kind of information is on the cards?

G: "If you're thinking about drinking etc." English and Spanish. Has the answering service number. Maybe the website.

Harry: It has been updated since then.

Chris: Maybe there's a QR code on the new ones.

Schedule Maker: Nataé S. - Chair

- I did not do new schedules this month. We are due to order more.
- I received a spreadsheet database, in an effort to add our group numbers to the schedule. Which would make an expanded schedule, like a pocket atlas map. How neat!
- By next month I'll have the new version printed.
- Also beginning a project with district members to get the most up to date information that matches our online and printed schedules. Please send in meeting changes to schedule@aa-nia-dist11.org.

Georgene: There's a Tuesday night, cease fighting group. It is hybrid/online, but it's showing in person only, can we adjust that?

Natae: I'll check before I submit it, but I'll check.

Sid: Please send meeting changes to Mike, our secretary.

Natae: Once I have a digital copy of the new schedule, I'll circulate it.

Pete: I noticed there was contact information on the schedule before. Are those GSRs?

Sid: We're working to update that. But it's GSRs and just a Group contact.

Pete: How many?

143 groups, in AA recovery connection. Most in person.

If you have FOR SURE inactive groups, please let us know.

Hospital & Treatment Setting Report: Angie U. - Chair, Matthew D. - Alt Chair

- No Report .

Webmaster: Harry - Chair, Carol H - Alt. Chair

- Harry: Meeting updates, event uploads, basic website maintenance items and meeting minute uploads have all been completed since the last business meeting.
- Carol: N/A
- We will continue to work on the proposal for the Technology Committee.

Workshop: - Lisa - Chair, Nancy - Alt. Chair

- On August 12th more than 60 fellows and friends of Bill W. attended the "Strengthening Your Foundation " workshop presented by the Being New to AA group. The event was a success on many levels. Much thanks to all who participated in the planning, development, and execution of the project.
- Looking forward to the Fall, planning is underway for the next event on the calendar -> Soberfest workshop.
- A skeletal committee of volunteers from District 11 has been formed to refine the focus and scope of the workshop which is slated to take place Saturday afternoon, November 25th, at the Grand Geneva. Please share with your groups and friends of the Fellowship the opportunity to participate in this project. It would be wonderful to grab some energy and creativity from both seasoned veterans and newcomers to Service within our district.
- Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your Workshop Chair.

GSR Reports:

Matt S: Friday night Men's Step Study. 5 Fridays, and that means the 5th Friday, the 29th, open ALANON AA speaker meeting, 7:30 meeting. Snacks before hand.

Dan H: Tuesday night. Burtons' bridge, we moved to 176, faith community church in crystal lake, first Tuesday in October.

Pete: Sundays meeting Burton Bridge. We don't want to meet, so we need support, 11am Sunday.

Sid: Contributions are going up, but we're good as a district.

Old Business:

- Let's look at open positions. Can vote: Committee members and GSR's, and only alternates if their GSR is not present.
- Alt Secretary, nominations? None.
- Accessibilities chair, nominations? None.
- Alt Accessibilities chair, nominations? None.
- Alt answering service chair, nominations? None.
- Alt Grapevine Chair , nominations? None.
- Alt Literature, nominations? None.
- Alt Workshop, nominations? None.

Get Ready for Elections coming up!

There are some appointment positions that will be opened up at the end of the year.

It is also possible to carry two positions.

- Harry: We ask for people to stand for chairs. I was nominated by somebody who had some time here, they made a decision to handle this job. We're looking for people to stand, but we should find the right person for the job.

New Business:

- Fall Assembly Motions (September 16th, 2023) - Use this time for GSR's to ask questions, so they can have an informed discussion with their groups in preparation for the assembly.
 - NIA 20 Finance Committee Recommendation: In the spirit of Tradition 7, "...we view with much concern those A.A. treasuries which continue, beyond prudent reserves, to accumulate funds for no stated A.A. purpose." the Area 20 Finance Committee recommends that the assembly forward \$15,000 to the General Service Board.
 - Motion to amend the NIA Ltd. Bylaws to include the Area Registrar as an officer of the Corporation and to update the list of voting members.
 - A friendly amendment was accepted to add the Northern Illinois Planning Procedures in the responsibilities section of the Service Manual Custodian as well as adding Northern Illinois Planning Procedures for translation under: Changes to be Made to the Northern Illinois Service Manual portion of the motion. This is due to a recently passed motion.
 - Motion to provide for Spanish translation of all Area documents and to provide a Spanish interpreter at all Area functions.
 - Motion to amend the NIA Service Manual to include Green Can duties to the Treatment Chair responsibilities.
- GSR's, take these motions back to your groups to prepare for the September 16th Fall Assembly.

Harry: This is already processed and in place in area 20, it's just not documented. Anything outside, would have to be brought to the district.

Chris V: will the typo's be fixed by the assembly?

Sid: It'll probably be brought up.

Jake: 3rd bullet point. Green can funds are available to districts.... Area funds the district?

Sid: yeah it's the same for the Pink can. This money is set aside, and used to help districts get literature. There was a push to use this money recently to help districts out, with this excess money. Similarly with the green.

Stephania: These are imaginary. I've never seen them before. They don't exist.

Sid: Usually we distribute these "Cans" or "labels" for groups and GSRs and correction chairs to bring back to their groups.

Sid: These are also available from our website. www.AA-nia.org and printed out, and put in a tupperware.

Sid: Let's be more diligent about our use of our money, to encourage local spending.

Jake: What percentage has been spent?

Sid: If spending remains the same, then we can conservatively make that \$15000 contribution easily. It's taking many expenses into account.

Jake: How much of the funds have been used that have been budgeted on an area level.

Angie: At my group, I brought that up, considering area funds. That it should go to local groups, or CASO even.

Sid: Area is separate from CASO. Area 19 has both GSRs and intergroup reps. GGroup, district, ARea, Intergroup, and General service board..

Area 20 is separate, so groups contribute to district, district contributes to area, and then excess goes up to GSB.

Sid: 35% of the budget has been spent @ Area, Aug 5th.

\$110k budget. \$28k spent.

Still lots to be reimbursed etc.

Harry: 6 months ago, GSO and Area, recommending that Districts keep their money and spend it.

Both here and Area, we're not spending it. We need a way to spend this money.

Sid: We are looking to spend more money , workshops, more reimbursements, as folks from district do things. Each committee chair should try to meet their budget. And it's great when our committees ask for more! But when you need items, to distribute PI and literature and outreaching activities, yes, we have the resources.

Stephania: I am on a committee for a retreat. Can we get sponsorships for people that can't afford to go?

Sid: It's more at the discretion of the retreat. Whereas these monies are intended to support the district activities.

Open Mic:

- **Richie: East Center Regional Forum. Nov 17, 18, 19th. This district has money for you to go there. If that money got depleted, well then we can improve that, how cool would that be! This conference helps you meet folks in general service. Hotel information is out there, I will find some other hotels, too.**
- **Richie, back again. Alanon State Convention. Oct 6, 7, 8th. Great AA speakers. Panels, and workshops. We have some open slots and could use some participation. 815-353-7850**
- **Dan: Come to the Assembly at Lord of Life Church.**

Meeting Closed at: 8:38 p.m. , _____ seconds.

The next District Meeting is Thursday October 5th, 2023 at 7:00pm in person and via Zoom:

Zoom Meeting ID: 959 6776 4900

Passcode: District11

First United Methodist Church of Crystal Lake (236 W Crystal Lake Ave, Crystal Lake, IL 60014)